Here at wisdom to inspire, we would like to effect the lives of people in our own simple ways. Browse through our pages, quotes, images and videos and be inspired by the beauty of life. Fall into the goodness of the universe and let yourself be an inspiration to others in making this world an even more beautiful place.

Our collection of stories, articles, quotes, and videos have been painstakingly gathered so that each time you visit us, you will have something inspiring to read, see and watch.

35 Ways to Beat the Blues

Feeling low, down, or just plain said? Here are some crazy, practical, honest, unique, astoning, funny, yet truly inspiring ways on how you can pick yourself up when you hit the lowest ebb of your life!


1. “If you ever got the blues, look back over your life. Think about the hard  times and how you overcame them. Then you give yourself a pat on the back.” – Tanya Tucker.

2. “Oh, well, sometimes, you just gotta laugh.” – Roseanne.

3. “… if I start feeling a little punny, I just pick up my old guitar and sing a few hymns.” – Myrtle Todd.

4. “… I clean. If I get down about something, I’ll polish the entire house, clean out the garage, reorganize my office, wax my car, and groom my animals… I guess you could say I sweep away the blues!” – Geoff Bodine.

5. “I remembered by Mum’s advice. ‘Keep your chin up. Set an example for others. Don’t blame anyone else for your own shortcomings. And when you win, remember the guy you beat. Don’t goat or be arrogant. He will be hurting, so be kind.’” – George H.W. Bush.

6. “Prayer lifted me up and helped me get on with the life that has been so fulfilling for both George and me.” – Barbara Bush.

7. “1. Exploring the infinite universe of fractals. 2. Playing with my killer Chihuahua, Dainty.” – Sir Arthur C. Clarke.

8. “… I say a silent prayer that God Will forgive me for whining, and remind Him to keep paying attention to those who really need Him. Then, I say this: The sun is gonna come up tomorrow. It always does. Winter will go and spring will appear.” – James Gregory.

9. “If you don’t like the blues, play for the whites.” – Willie Nelson.

10. “My own escape mechanism has always been the fine art of daydreaming. If you can’t actually wade out into a clear mountain stream with a  fly rod in hand to spend the afternoon making lazy casts into the pools beneath the rapids, a well-crafted daydream can be almost as therapeutic.” – Robert Timmerman.


11. “… there is one sure way to deal with any kind of blues: prayer. I pray for forgiveness for my sins.” – Gayle Sayers.

12. “Instead of just sitting there, reach out to those who love you for help.” – Wesley McNair.

13. “… get yourself out of the night, fix yourself a fried baloney sandwich, and say to hell with the blues!” – Loretta Lynn.

14. “I do believe that time can heal all wounds… I guess it’s all just a matter of time.” – Ian Duncan.

15. “Sing ‘em!” – Eric Burdon.


16. “I try to recall how the colonel would encourage his sullen soldier to get off his fanny and contribute something to the greater good.” – James Gordon Bennett.

17. “My cure for the blues is almost always the same. It’s the front porch solution. Specifically, my mother’s front porch. There’s something timeless and reassuring in sitting with family in the porch, maybe a glass of lemonade and a piece of pie.” – Rodney Ammons.

18. “When it comes to the blues, it’s always better to give than to receive.” – Morgan Fairchild.

19. “… I reflect on how blessed I’ve been in my life. Then I think of something I can do for someone else. Offering a helping hand to another will lift you up faster than anything else.” – Brenda Lee.

20. “… I think back to when I was lying the TB ward, my future dashed, or so I believed. I remember the smile my mother always hand when she visited, although she was taking in boarders back home to make ends meet. This visit to the dark side of my life is the quickest cure for the blues.” – David Prowse.


21. “While there are obviously the  hand wringers, others rolle up their sleeves and plow ahead. We should always to aspire to be one of the rollers and plowers!”

22. “Laughter.” – Burt Reynolds.

23. “I try to change the subject. There are so many prospective delights in life that I just want to cross over to the next phase.” – George Stevens, Jr.

24. “… I learned to accept what happens and look at the upside of the situation. Positive thinking is a wonderful tool and it can blow away the rain on any given day.”  - Gene Pitney.

25. “Best to have a talk with God, commune with the spirit of Quinnie (her great-grandmother), bury the blues.” – Dinah Johnson.


26. “You don’t have to stay there. You just to have the experience, and then you can sing about it.” – Rita Coolidge.

27. “I get up and fix a pot of Kenya AA coffee. Then I pop Shane into the VCR. It’s a scientific fact that a person cannot remain in the dumps throughout a full viewing of Shane.” – Tim Sandlin.

28. “… I just sit down on the floor right next to my big, old retriever, Howdy. I try to explain what has me feeling blue, and Howdy understands.” – Dr. Michael Obenski.

29. “When the blues are coming up fast behind you, sometimes, it’s better to confront them quietly, alone, from a rocking chair on your own front porch.” – Garth Brooks.

30. “I fight the blues by watching old movies.” – Dan Lauria.

31. “Every morning that I pick up a local newspaper and don’t see an announcement of a forced farm auction, I beat the blues for one  more day.” – Dave Stapleton.

32. “The first is playing with my cat… the second is walking or riding my bike by the ocean or in the woods.”  - Joan Jett.

33. “I don’t dwell on the past, I just plug into it from time to time out of respect for those loved ones who are now gone… So my advice is: Learn to play the damn fiddle.” – Doug Kershaw.

34. “I go to the James Kitching Gallery at the University of Witwatersrand and contemplate the tiny bones of the Jurassic mammal Megazostrodon, reminding myself that in two hundred million years, I, too, will be a fossil. Then, I hit the Radium Beer Hall and nail a bottle of Tassenberg red while listening to live jazz.” – Tom Rymour.

35. “… pouring cool chocolate pudding in my underwear on a hot summer’s day.” – “Weird Al” Yankovic. 

Find out more about beating the blues with 100 Ways to Beat the Blues by Tanya Tucker and Friends. Purchase a copy now!